To determine the retirement needs and desires of the next generation of older adults, the survey collected information from 221 CCRCs and more than 65,000 residents in 49 states. In addition, nearly 3,700 respondents consisted of adult children of older adults living in independent living, assisted living, skilled nursing, and memory care environments.
The survey consisted of 49 questions focusing on the following key areas:
- opinions about the community in which their family member lives
- plans about one’s own retirement and future housing plans
- interests and preferences for a CCRC lifestyle
- programs, services, amenities, and long-term care contract preferences
- choices regarding housing options to meet future needs
The results are overwhelmingly positive, with 74% of respondents stating that they are interested in living at a CCRC in the future and would recommend CCRCs to others because of their family’s positive experience. With key insights into the factors affecting the decision to choose a CCRC, this research can be invaluable for CCRC operators and investors alike.
This study creates a picture of where the continuing care industry is today, and reveals opportunities for the future of the industry in order to best serve the next generation.