The Age Well
A landmark study on Life Plan Communities
Mather LifeWays Institute on Aging is partnering with Northwestern University in conducting the Age Well Study, a five-year analysis of the impact of living in a Life Plan Community.
The Age Well Study is the only national longitudinal study evaluating the impact of living in a Life Plan Community on residents’ cognitive, physical, and psychosocial health and well-being. The Age Well Study measures residents’ self-reported health and wellness metrics through a survey taken annually for five years. Results will be compared to a demographically similar sample drawn from the Health and Retirement Study (HRS) conducted by the University of Michigan.
This invaluable information will be used to improve the senior living industry.
Your community can still benefit:
Life Plan Communities interested in participating in the remaining four years of the Age Well Study can still get involved. If you are a community point person and would like to participate or have any questions about the study, please contact Ajla Basic, Age Well Study Coordinator, at (847) 492.5036 or firstname.lastname@example.org. As a benefit of participating, Life Plan Communities involved in the study will receive valuable information and insights including summary reports of their own resident data and a full copy of the final report. The deadline to register is Friday, November 30.
What we've accomplished:
First year results are in and they spell good news for Life Plan Community residents. Initial results show:
- 69% of residents reported that moving to a Life Plan Community “somewhat or greatly improved” their social wellness.
- Life Plan Community residents tend to have greater emotional, social, physical, intellectual, and vocational wellness than their community-dwelling counterparts.
- Residents report significantly more healthy behaviors than community dwellers (not just more exercise).
Thank you to all Life Plan Community residents and staff who have participated in the first year of the Age Well Study! A total of 80 Life Plan Communities from across the country are participating in the study, and we have entered surveys from more than 5,100 residents!
The latest news & updates:
- Read news articles and industry reactions to the preliminary findings from Year 1 of the Age Well Study.
- If you are a community point person and have any questions about the study, please contact Ajla Basic, Age Well Study Coordinator, at (847) 492.5036 or email@example.com.
- We are currently developing two reports based on our analysis of Year 1 data. One comprehensive report will include a summary of all data collected. The other brief report will be specific to each community and will include a summary of findings for key measures collected. No individual resident information will be included in either report.
- We will distribute reports to each participating community in January 2019.
- Those interested in receiving copies of the comprehensive report when released can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The next round of surveys will be distributed to resident participants in February 2019.
- Life Plan Communities interested in participating in the remaining four years of the Age Well Study have until Friday, November 30, 2018, to sign up. (If you participated in Year 1, you are automatically signed up for subsequent years.)
- This will be the last year that we will be able to allow new communities to participate.
“Our residents and staff have enjoyed participating in the Age Well Study and know that the information it will provide will be invaluable, not only for the industry, but for our community specifically.”